Divorce and Separation
Our Family Law solicitors based in Leeds are highly skilled lawyers who deal with divorce and separation on a daily basis. We understand that this is a very difficult time and we work with you to ensure that your case progresses seamlessly.
The Divorce Process
- Either party will have to show that the marriage has irretrievably broken down, in addition the person wishing to get a divorce (Petitioner) has to prove one of the following grounds:
- Unreasonable behaviour of the other spouse;
- 2 years separation with consent;
- 5 years separation.
- Following the issue of the divorce, the spouse not issuing the divorce is served with the Petition direct by the Court. The Respondent has an Acknowledgement of Service form to complete indicating whether he/she consents to the divorce or not.
If the divorce is consented to, the Petitioner can then apply to the Court for a Decree Nisi. A formal Application and Affidavit is lodged with the Court and 6 weeks and a day thereafter an Application for the Decree Absolute can be made.
- The process usually takes between 4 and 6 months. There is no need for either party to attend at Court. There is a petition fee to pay to the court of £340 and a further £45 fee to be paid to the Court to obtain the Decree Absolute.
To make an enquiry regarding divorce, finances, children and other family law issues, make an appointment or to receive an estimated quote, call 0113 243 6601, or email .
|Paul Milligan (view profile)||Partner||Head of Family||Sarah Lee|